Monday, December 6, 2010

Advent 2010

I've found that in the last 5 years of parish ministry and teaching I've done many different activities to celebrate and teach about the season of Advent.  This has, unfortunately, meant my celebration at home has been somewhat diminshed due to my enthusiasm to use any ideas at work rather than thinking of them for home.  It was never a conscious thing, it's just that time moves quickly in December and by the time I would think about celebrating Advent at home it was time to travel or host people...

So here's where the blessing of being a "SAHM" comes in. (Stay-At-Home-Mom)  This year (though a little later than I'd like) I got our Advent wreath and am starting to brainstorm on making a Jesse tree.  I'd love to do something connected with stained glass or fabric.  Many websites and blogs encourage families,especially kids to get involved making the ornaments.  Well, Benjamin can't hold a crayon yet and I don't want to wait until I have a brood old enough.  Perhaps in the future my kids will make a Jesse tree and all the ornaments, but I want to make something that will help us celebrate now until that can happen.  I also would like one that I feel is both very useable but nice looking to fit in with the rest of the decor of the living room.  In case you are unfamiliar with what the Jesse tree tradition is like here's a website, and feel free to search for more on the internet, there's lots out there!  http://www.catholicstyle.net/2009/10/the-jesse-tree-an-advent-tradition.html

I will update with pics/info of what I decide to do...

In other news, Benjamin has been enjoying the walker although stationary.  He gets a good workout with his legs pushing against the floor and practicing balancing standing up.  :)

1 comment:

Marie said...

I'm feeling the same way - and this is my second Advent staying at home! Here are some of the ideas I've read about (but haven't managed to implement): http://www.conversiondiary.com/2010/11/baby-steps-for-celebrating-advent-a-cornucopia-of-ideas.html
http://new.catholicmom.com/2010/12/06/advent-activities-making-advent-bright-25-ways-to-focus-on-christ/ We'll have to be accountability partners next year - without lesson plans and students I'm not very good at following through. : )