Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Triduum with a toddler

He's my little buddy and he's growing up!  We took a chance taking a toddler to Holy Thursday Mass and Good Friday service.  He seemed to just soak everything up.  We had conversations about what would happen at Church and then later a recap or acting it out on his own.


Some gems from B:

Holy Thursday Mass was constant whispering.
"See wots of Fadders?" (Lots of Fathers)

"B go up wass feet?  Take shoe off?"

Me: "Look at the servers, they're getting the altar ready"
B: "For me?"  :)

"I kiss Desus too?" whispered approx. 831 times as we waited to go up and venerate the cross on Good Friday.

When he did kiss the crucifix he gave it a good "mwah" causing the deacon to smile.

Me: "What are you doing?"
B: "I wassing der feet!  Wike fadder!"
Washing of the feet ala toddler style
B: "Wike Fadder? I way down" (prostrates himself in the play room which ends up looking more like he's "planking" :)

From a couple weeks ago: "Diss my chawice." (this my chalice) He didn't know why we thought it was picture worthy.

This morning: "Dad get you cwoss, we cawwy wike sewvoos." (we carry like servers) Also, the crosses were made of duplos.

This kid picks up alot just watching what's going on.  These are the good ones.  For example, I'm not including his, "Owr you kidding me" repeated after me while I was driving.  Oops.


Oh, and there's this that I printed out from Catholic Icing (awesome site!)  It's a Resurrection Set.  We came down Easter morning and the first thing we did was check to see if the stone was still there and Jesus body was in the tomb where we put it on Friday evening.  He was surprised to see it empty and Jesus standing on the mantel.  He kept repeating "Desus awive!"  (Jesus alive!) whenever he looked up there.  Then he went and found his Easter basket :)


I found that this little resurrection set and B helped ME take to heart just how amazing Easter is and how wonderful a thing to celebrate.  Sometimes kids help us see things with fresh eyes and in a simpler and deeper way.  It filled our desire as parents to focus on Jesus first and then celebrate like we mean it!  I mean, why have only one morning where you run down to see what amazing thing happened in the night (Christmas) when you can have two!  We SHOULD race down the stairs and be excited about what happens Easter morning! 

I hope that your celebration of Easter continues to be great!  God Bless!


1 comment:

Danielle said...

Adorable, Rach!!! You are doing such a good job with him. And I love how interested he is in everything. My girls tried washing each other's feet :) Love to hear how you are doing! Miss you!