Friday, June 3, 2011

To helmet or not to helmet...

I took Benjamin to his 9 month appointment about 3 weeks ago and the pediatrician asked if we had talked about his head shape.  She mentioned that he might have a mild case of positional plagiocephaly- an asymmetry in the shape of the skull due to the baby favoring a certain position for laying his head. Click here for an example.  She referred us to a plastic surgeon.  She recommended getting him an orthotic helmet.  I did alot of homework into cost, maintenance, support, etc for helmets.  BTW I also found some cute websites that help parents with decals for the helmets so they can make them "cute."  I know, minor in importance, but if you have to have it on for 23 hours of each day for at least a few months then it might as well be fun. :)

This week we met with the orthotist and Benjamin was measured and given a scan that would give us accurate numbers.  See how that works here.  We got the call today that his numbers are actually too good to get a helmet.  His case is mild enough that a helmet is not necessary.   WAHOOO!  It's crazy to go from expecting that Ben would be wearing a helmet for the next 3 months to hearing that it's not really needed.  Thank God!


Learn more about plagio and support for it: http://community.babycenter.com/post/a22249005/welcome

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Patrick also had/has plagiocephaly. I mentioned it to my doctor, but he was more in the camp of letting it go. I did a few things to help it (his head wasn't symmetrical because he liked to sleep with his head to one side) but eventually it got a lot better as he got older (it's still a bit off, but his hair helps a bunch). Ah, the things your kids put you through, good thing they're cute and totally worth it :)